Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Peace, a Fruit of the Spirit

Out of all the treasures in life, one I find most desirable is peace. Because I have the inclination to worry about everything, peace is one of those things I find myself striving for on a daily basis.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that if you worry, you're not operating in or exercising faith. Still, like a bad habit, worry grabs a hold of me at times and I'm off and running. Other times, it creeps in subtly when I'm unaware, trying to rob me of my peace and happiness.

Over the years, I've come to realize that peace is obtainable--even for a person that's prone to worry.

I Peter 3:11 says, "Let him eschew evil, and do good days, let him seek peace, and ensue it."

Peace is something that we have to actively pursue; we can't be passive and expect peace. How do we do that though? Well, we have to do the things that believers do. We have to read the Word, surround ourselves with fellow believers, pray without ceasing, fast with purpose, and dedicate ourselves wholly to the Lord.

Our focus must be on Him, not the problem. When I focus on Him only, there is no room for the problem. He is big enough to handle whatever it is. Worry evaporates because I know that God will take care of me.

In Matthew 6:25-34, Jesus teaches about worry. These powerful verses always help me when I feel myself getting worried or anxious. Jesus knows what we need, but the key is "seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you"
(Matthew 6:33).

Seeking Him first is the priority. I think a lot of times we try to do everything we can do to fix the situation instead of seeking Him first. We should come to Him first and not as a last resort.

This topic touches me in a very personal way because in spite of the times I have given in to worry, when I come to my senses, trust God and pursue peace, He always provides it. He's never failed me, and He is my peace.

There's a Milton Brunson song that I love called, "I Tried Him and I Know Him." I am a testimony because I have tried Him with my problems and worries. I've gotten to know Him, and He's never failed me--and He won't fail you! Trust Him with whatever might be worrying you today. He is your peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment