Wednesday, September 9, 2009

What's Your Final Answer?

Lately, I’ve found myself asking so many questions as many close family members and friends struggle with serious health challenges, heavy financial burdens, and devastating job losses. Out of the many questions, one always rises like cream to the top. I wonder why. Maybe you’ve wondered why you’re facing the giant that towers above you. You may wonder how you’re going to get through the crisis. You may be asking yourself how to respond to others around you are suffering. We have so many questions, but there is a final answer to them found in God’s Word.

Asking the question “Why?” in the midst of suffering seems pretty logical. After all, Job endured the suffering, but what plagued him most was why he suffered. He was given a host of incorrect answers from his friends, but in the end, God didn’t really answer Job’s question. Instead, God reminded Job that it was better to know Him than the answers to his questions.

When we suffer and it is not a direct consequence of sin, we have to rely on and trust in God. He’s sovereign and in control. Our final answer should be to continue to love Him and love one another with compassion.

Love is a word that’s really been watered down by the world and has come to mean much less than what God intended. The depth of God’s love cannot be measured. It’s supernatural and powerful, extending far beyond what we can imagine.

Chapter 13 in I Corinthians beautifully instructs us about love. The second verse says, “And though I have the gift of prophesy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity [love], I am nothing.” Paul lets us know that we can know the future, understand deep mysteries, have unending knowledge, and have deep faith, but without the love of God, we are nothing.

Paul goes on to explain that love suffers long. When we love as Christ loves us, we don’t look inward to ourselves, but we look up to God. God’s love causes us to be unselfish, and as a result, we love outward to others. Love automatically shifts our focus to Him instead of our problem.

Having the love of God is like putting gas in an engine. It fuels us, making our gifts and service to Him useful. In addition, God’s love enables us to go through the storms of life without caving under the pressure.

I Corinthians 13:7 explains, “[Love] beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.” When we are operating in God’s perfect love, we can bear all things, not just some. We can believe and trust that the Lord is going to keep his promises. Hope is always present, no matter how dismal the situation may seem. Finally, we can endure the pain, discomfort, and suffering, knowing that the Lord is going to supply our every need.

Paul tells us that the greatest of all the spiritual gifts is love. So, what is the final answer to our questions? The final answer has to be that we know that God loves us. “[Love] never faileth: but whether there be prophesies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away” (I Cor. 13:8). God’s love never fails in any situation.
When we don’t know how to respond to life’s challenges and difficulties, remember that there is an answer and response that never fails. He loves us, and when we love Him and spread His love, we are equipped to stand strong against Satan’s attacks.

Paul says that “For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face; now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.” We may not have the specific answers to some of the hard questions, but one day we will when we meet Him face to face.

Until then, I pray that the Lord will continue to shower you with His love and that you draw closer to Him, sharing and extending His love to others.

Love to hear from you. Drop me a line . . .
www.MaRitaTeague.net
www.MaRitaTeague.blogspot.com

3 comments:

  1. I think my final answer on this,Sis Teagues, would be. If we are absolutly sure with a doubt that we have the Love of Christ and we know that God loves us so much, that He gave His only son to die on the cross for our sins. He beared EVERYTHING on the CROSS for us, so that we will not have to bear alot that we do go through,

    Christ has so much love,mercy, and grace for us, and knowing this with out doubting. Then we can bear whatever the situation is.

    Remember when God told Isiah tell Hezekiah to set his house in order because Hezekiah was sick and was going to die. " Thus said the Lord. Set your house in order: for thou shalt die and not live. Hezekiah turned his face to the wall and prayed to the Lord. He told God all that he had done for Him and he cried before God. God added 15 more years to Hezekiah's life Isaiah 38: 1-5.

    That is the Loving God that we serve. We can go to Him boldly without doubting knowing that He is faithful and just, mercyful and loving a truly wonderful God, that if we just believe that He would keep all of His promises to us, He will do just as He has promised. Psalms 91: 14-16, Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him I will set him on high, because he hath known my name. He shall call upon me, and I will answer him, I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him and honour him. With long life will I satisfy him, and show him my salvation.

    God will honour our praise and worship, when we just show our love to Him and show our love toward one another no matter what we are going through.

    Though it may be hard when we are going through it, but remember "we are just going through" while we are going through if we just love one one another all the more and set our eyes on God and love on Him. Watch God MOVE. REMEMBER THERE IS SO MUCH POWER WHEN WE JOIN TOGETHER AND UNIT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MaRita,
    I really appreciate your teachings on 1 Corinthians 13 because it highlights how God is the source or supply of love in our lives. Looking for God to supply the “gas” or “fuel” in our tanks is so important. There are so many distractions in life that may lead one to believe that other people or things should be our source of love and that without their love/compassion we are nothing. However, you clarify exactly where Paul is coming from. As the Amplified Bible states it in verse three: “Even if I dole out all that I have [to the poor in providing] food, and if I surrender my body to be burned or in order that I may glory, but have not love (God’s love in me), I gain nothing.” That is so liberating because it is His perfect love that never fails us while other people or things can.
    I remember being so encouraged about this revelation during a more trying period in my life. I am further encouraged today by your teachings and believe that others will be as well to know that all the love that they need to complete them in life is always available and unlimited as promised by our Father.
    Praise God for being our supply!
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sis Hamilton,
    Thank you for your beautiful comments about remembering and embracing God's love, grace, and mercy towards us. It's awesome that God hears us and answers when we call on him. Thank you!

    Kristy,
    You are right on--God's love is liberating! So much in life can have us in bondage if we let it, but God's love frees us emotionally, spiritually, and physically. Thank you for your uplifting words as I strive to let the negativity go and press towards the mark.

    MaRita

    ReplyDelete